Runway Inspired Challenge-Red Valentino Fall 2013
I love these runway inspired challenges; you can let your imagination run wild based on a fashion photo. This week’s Fashion photo is Red Valentino Fall. The background really spoke to me to use my crinkled paper technique. Here’s the runway inspiration photo.
Here’s my take on it. The runway inspired challenge is going on at http://runwayinspired.blogspot.com/
I used a black stamp pad to make the crinkles; I find that Stazon ink will not run after it dries; a lot of inks say they won’t run, but Stazon definitely won’t, and this is very important because I always end up spray painting or staining over the original crinkling. This time I brushed some water color over the basic crinkling, using water color paints. I used the colors I saw in the photo; started by stroking some red here and there.
Next I added some blue, yellow and brown, trying to stay with the color placement in the challenge photo.
I wanted it to be a birthday card so I thought I’d use my Sizzlits Cupcake set die to make a cupcake in yellow for the center focal point of the card. I love how you can fold the cup part of the die-cut piece just like a real cupcake holder, but the cupcake is too long so I trimmed the bottom off 1/4″; I also changed the size and shape of the top part. It’s a little lop sided for me so I cut it to look even and a little smaller.
The top part of the cupcake looked too flat and uninteresting to me, so I copied the top onto a piece of tracing paper and added scallops on the bottom, like it was folding over the bottom part. I used a Cuttlebug Divine Swirl embossing folder to emboss the yellow cardstock and transfered the cupcake top on the back of it (so the tracing marks wouldn’t show on the front) with graphite transfer paper and a ballpoint pen. I then adhered this top over the top on the bottom with foam squares; the folded parts on the bottom stuck out so much that I had to use two foam squares on top of each other to get the top over them.
I had a hard time resolving this one. I was so determined to have the background the way I wanted it; I didn’t think about how I was going to be able to match it with a foreground, but I’m finally pleased with the result. I used a joscie flair http://joscie.bigcartel.com/ on the top; I just love her flairs and had to include it. I decided to sew the bow together on the left side because I didn’t want two bows tied together in the same way right next ot each other.
Entry filed under: Uncategorized.