Eco Chic Easter Basket
Happy Easter! Nothing says that like a basket full of eggs.
I started out by die cutting some of the crinkled paper with Tim Holtz’s Tattered Floral die. Next I made bowls of dye to color used dryer sheets. I have some old magarine and Cool Whip tubs laying around so I mixed up the dyes in those tubs. I used Distress Paints for the dyes, and I mixed the paints in water unitl it had a skim milk consistency. I used Spun Sugar, Broken China and Mustard Seed Distress paints. I submerged a dryer sheet in the tub, rung out the dryer sheet a little (so that it didn’t get too wrinkled) and then layed it on paper towels to dry. I dyed three dryer sheets per color.
After the dryer sheets were dry, I rubbed some darker colored Distress paints over them. I used a square of craft foam for the piece to rub over the dryer sheets. I just cut it into a square large enough for me to be able to handle easily. I loaded the craft foam square with Picked Raspberry for the Spun Sugar dryer sheet, Chipped Sapphire + Broken China for the Broken China dyed dryer sheet and for the Mustard Seed one, I just kept it the same since I didn’t have a yellow darker than Mustard Seed. I reloaded the craft foam with the darker color distress paint as often as needed. It’s so easy to just dab the distress paint onto the craft foam!
After the dryer sheets dried, I cut them in half lengthwise, and used one of the halves for die cutting with the Tattered Floral die.
I used the other half of the dryer sheet to sew around the peat pot. I used a 5″ peat pot for the basket, gathered and sewed different colored dryer sheets (lengthwise) to the top and bottom with a running stitch. I alternated blue, pink and yellow dryer sheet sections all around the basket. I layered flowers with alternating crinkled paper and dyed dryer sheet ones, and attached them to the top with Tim Holtz’s Fanciful Accoutrements buttons and Custom Fasteners; gluing a rhinestone to the top of the smaller fasteners.
For the eggs, I had some old Easter eggs, but I didn’t like the surface; it was all irregular and I wanted to make them look antique. I painted over them with white gesso.
After the gesso dried, I painted over the eggs again with Off-White acrylic paint.
I added some lace trim around the eggs with matte gel medium and then I added some of Tim’s Foliage idealogy charms over the lace trim.
I painted over the eggs again with gesso and then I stained over them with different colors; mustard Seed Distress, Broken China, Chipped Sappire and Spun Sugar Distress Paint (mixed with water to watercolor consistency). I made one egg yellow, one blue and one pink. I kept the colors very light. Then I stained over the colored eggs with Tea Dye and Walnut Stain Distress inks (diluted with a couple spritzes of water). I repeated staining with these last two until I was satisfied with how distressed the eggs looked.
I poked holes in the sides of the basket between flowers and added the wired grape leaf handle. I added the salvage sticker (adhered to corrugated paper die cut with Tim’s Alterations Tiny Tabs and Tags die) with a dyed dryer sheet strip. I sewed another crinkled paper/dryer sheet flower by sewing it to the knot in the dryer sheet strip. I adhered a small rhinestone to the middle of the top flower.